ADHD Consults

Attention-Deficit Disorder (ADD) or Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) occur in approximately 3-5% of the general population and is recognized throughout the world. Some children with ADD or ADHD need particular interventions and assistance in school, at home, and at after-school activities to optimize their ability to succeed academically and socially. Screening for other mental health/mood concerns such as anxiety or depression is important as your child grows since mental health concerns are potentially more prevalent in children with ADD/ADHD.

The essence of ADD/ADHD is determining how your child can best learn and through which educational setting is the most appropriate in their formative years of child development. School and home instruction is intended to provide your child with a variety of basic knowledge and learning tools so that adult independent-guided education, job-skills, and social/emotional stability can bring enjoyment and satisfaction with one’s work and personal life.

An initial office consultation can be scheduled (either with the parents alone or with the child present) to begin the process of evaluating your child. Standardized forms are then completed by the parents and school teachers with a follow-up visit scheduled to review this information and determine the best strategies to assist your child. Video-taping your child at school, home, or in after-school activities can sometimes be quite helpful as well to review together. Interventions discussed may include behavioral modifications at school and home, scheduling adjustments, nutritional changes, possible dietary supplements, and prescription medications managed by Dr. Bergman. Periodic visits and phone consultations continue to offer your child the personalized medical intervention needed.

Sometimes, a referral to a child psychologist or developmental pediatrician may be recommended to further evaluate your child’s concerns.

School-based education plans can be implemented (there are two kinds: Section 504 or an Individualized Education Plan – IEP). These plans may provide certain accommodations and/or special education services to meet your child’s learning style/needs to try to optimize learning and school performance. Click here to understand more about the differences between Section 504 and IEP.

A variety of resources exist to help educate parents in the art of raising a child with ADD/ADHD. Please feel free to ask for recommended books and resources and a list of child psychologists and developmental pediatricians in our area.

Back to Top